I was inspired throughout this semester by factors that included motivation to change our ecosystem by using recycled and biodegradable materials over materials that aren't. In this piece, I used clay which is a form of soil, meaning that it is technically biodegradable. I was inspired to create this because we were told we were going to be able to leave an artistic impression here at Vernon Malone because these pieces would become a part of the campus in our school garden.
I chose an elephant for this piece because I wanted to convey a animal that had strong influences in teamwork, which is why I chose the words "Stronger, Together, Onward" for the stamps on the back of the piece; all terms that have to deal with teamwork. I wanted it to show that here at Vernon Malone, we work in teams often to accomplish a greater goal. WE MUST put OUR GROUP aspirations before our personal aspirations - "...because when we work together, we are greater".
I hope this piece does in fact convey more than just something to look at. I want it to be an inspiration for people who want to do "more good" here at Vernon Malone.
However, if I were to do this project again, I would ensure that I "slip and stick" on the trunk so it wouldn't have fallen off during the hardening in the kiln.
I do believe that this is my most successful project this semester, not because of looks, but because it shows more than just what you can see. It goes to show an underlying message.
If I had to change one of my prints, this would be the one that I would change because I believe I used too much ink which took away from the overall design. I would try to continue rolling the ink to ensure that it wasn't think or anything of that nature. The brayer could have made the ink less thick which would have given my piece an opportunity to show all of the textures that I included in the print itself.
We started by cutting out a cardboard block which served as the base for the actual print. From there, we began to cut out shapes to glue to our print. After we glued the shapes to our block, we decided to experiment with the hot glue gun by drawing designs onto the shapes which showed some of the textures below.
In the final print, I would make sure that more ink would fill the negative spaces so that the work looked more interesting.
Soft Kut (Linoleum) Print
I believe that this print was my best out of all of the ones I did, specifically because I used a variation of uncommon colors which turned out to look very good at the end of the printing process. The process of making this print was relatively easy because it was using a print block and a gouge. The gouge slid through the print block material very easy which offered for a tremendous looking design.
By far, the styrofoam print was the one that I enjoyed the most simply because it was one of the easiest that I was able to encounter during the printmaking process. The smooth and malleable material served as a great creating experience because it was easy to draw our designs into the styrofoam blocks. One of my favorite parts was using the baren to make sure all of the ink had transferred to the paper. It was simply satisfying.
I find inspiration for most of my pieces from motivation to (slightly) change the world. My favorite pieces to create have the medium of recycled material. I often times prefer abstract art over any other form.